The fourth assembly of the Emergency Committee convened by the WHO Director-Common beneath the Worldwide Well being Rules (IHR) (2005) relating to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) befell on Friday, 31 July 2020 from 12:00 to 17:45
Geneva time (CEST).
Proceedings of the assembly
Members and advisors of the Emergency Committee have been convened by videoconference.
The Director-Common welcomed the Committee, highlighted the advances in international understanding of the SARS-CoV-2 virus for the reason that declaration of the general public well being emergency of worldwide concern (PHEIC) on 30 January 2020, and outlined key areas the place
additional consideration by the Emergency Committees is required.
Representatives of the authorized division and the Division of Compliance, Danger Administration, and Ethics (CRE) briefed the members on their roles and tasks. The Ethics Officer from CRE offered the members and advisers with an outline of the
WHO Declaration of Curiosity course of. The members and advisers have been made conscious of their particular person accountability to open up to WHO, in a well timed method, any pursuits of a private, skilled, monetary, mental or business nature that will
give rise to a perceived or direct battle of curiosity. They have been moreover reminded of their responsibility to keep up the confidentiality of the assembly discussions and the work of the committee. Every member who was current was surveyed and no conflicts
of curiosity have been recognized.
The Secretariat turned the assembly over to the Chair, Professor Didier Houssin. Professor Houssin additionally welcomed the Committee and reviewed the aims and agenda of the assembly.
The WHO Regional Emergency Administrators and the Government Director of the WHO Well being Emergencies Programme (WHE) offered regional and the worldwide state of affairs overview. WHO continues to evaluate the worldwide threat stage of COVID-19 to be very excessive. Dr David Heymann,
chair of the WHE Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Infectious Hazards (STAG-IH), introduced on nationwide finest practices and international COVID-19 experiences. Dr Johanna Jordaan introduced an outline of the Worldwide Civil Aviation Group
(ICAO) Council Aviation Restoration Taskforce (CART)’s report and public well being targeted suggestions.
The Committee expressed appreciation for WHO and companions’ COVID-19 pandemic response efforts. The Committee famous progress made on the Momentary Suggestions issued on 1 Could 2020 and examined extra areas that require additional consideration.
The Committee highlighted the anticipated prolonged length of this COVID-19 pandemic, noting the significance of sustained neighborhood, nationwide, regional, and international response efforts.
The Committee inspired all people, particularly younger individuals, and communities to proceed to play an lively function in stopping and controlling transmission of COVID-19. The Committee acknowledged that State Events ought to allow and assist communities
and people and thus construct belief in governments’ response measures.
After ensuing dialogue, the Committee unanimously agreed that the pandemic nonetheless constitutes a public well being emergency of worldwide concern and supplied recommendation to the Director-Common.
The Director-Common declared that the outbreak of COVID-19 continues to represent a PHEIC. He accepted the recommendation of the Committee to WHO and issued the Committee’s recommendation to States Events as Momentary Suggestions beneath the IHR (2005).
The Emergency Committee will likely be reconvened inside three months, on the discretion of the Director-Common. The Director-Common thanked the Committee for its work.
Recommendation to the WHO Secretariat
- Proceed to distill and quickly talk classes realized and finest practices from the COVID-19 pandemic and nationwide intra-action evaluations.
- Proceed to coordinate and mobilize international and regional multilateral organizations, companions and networks for sturdy political dedication and resourcing of COVID-19 pandemic preparedness and response, together with for improvement of vaccines and therapeutics.
- Present nuanced, pragmatic steering on standards for applicable COVID-19 response actions to scale back the danger of response fatigue within the context of socio-economic pressures.
- Proceed to assist State Events and companions in conducting lively and community-based COVID-19 surveillance, by way of technical and operational sources, reminiscent of steering, instruments, and trainings on case definitions and identification, contact tracing,
and demise certifications; encourage State Events to proceed reporting related knowledge to WHO by way of platforms such because the World Influenza Surveillance and Response System.
- Speed up analysis into remaining SARS-CoV-2 crucial unknowns, such because the animal supply and potential animal reservoirs, and enhance understanding of the epidemiology and severity of COVID-19 (together with its long-term well being results; viral dynamics
reminiscent of modes of transmission, shedding, potential mutations; immunity and correlates of safety; co-infection; in addition to threat elements and vulnerabilities) and the effectiveness of public well being measures.
- Proceed to work with companions to counter mis/disinformation and infodemics by growing and disseminating clear, tailor-made messaging on the COVID-19 pandemic and its results; encourage and assist people and communities to observe beneficial
public well being and social measures.
- Help diagnostics, secure and efficient therapeutics and vaccines’ speedy and clear improvement (together with in growing international locations) and equitable entry by way of the Entry to COVID-19 Instruments (ACT) Accelerator; assist all international locations to implement
the required scientific trials and to arrange for the rollout of therapeutics and vaccines.
- Work with companions to revise WHO’s journey well being steering to bolster evidence-informed measures per the provisions of the IHR (2005) to keep away from pointless interference with worldwide journey; proactively and often share data
on journey measures to assist State Events’ decision-making for resuming worldwide journey.
- Help State Events, significantly susceptible international locations, in strengthening their important well being providers and accompanying provide chains in addition to making ready for and responding to concurrent outbreaks, reminiscent of seasonal influenza.
Momentary suggestions to State Events
- Share finest practices, together with from intra-action evaluations, with WHO; apply classes realized from international locations which are efficiently re-opening their societies (together with companies, faculties, and different providers) and mitigating resurgence of COVID-19.
- Help multilateral regional and international organizations and encourage international solidarity in COVID-19 response.
- Improve and maintain political dedication and management for nationwide methods and localized response actions pushed by science, knowledge, and expertise; have interaction all sectors in addressing the impacts of the pandemic.
- Proceed to boost capability for public well being surveillance, testing, and make contact with tracing.
- Share well timed data and knowledge with WHO on COVID-19 epidemiology and severity, response measures, and on concurrent illness outbreaks by way of platforms such because the World Influenza Surveillance and Response System.
- Strengthen neighborhood engagement, empower people, and construct belief by addressing mis/disinformation and offering clear steering, rationales, and sources for public well being and social measures to be accepted and applied.
- Have interaction within the Entry to COVID-19 Instruments (ACT) Accelerator, take part in related trials, and put together for secure and efficient therapeutic and vaccine introduction.
- Implement, often replace, and share data with WHO on applicable and proportionate journey measures and recommendation, primarily based on threat assessments; implement needed capacities, together with at factors of entry, to mitigate the potential dangers of worldwide
transmission of COVID-19 and to facilitate worldwide contact tracing.
- Preserve important well being providers with enough funding, provides, and human sources; put together well being methods to deal with seasonal influenza, different concurrent illness outbreaks, and pure disasters.