Marcus Rashford got here off the bench to attain a scientific hat-trick as Manchester United continued their current momentum by taking aside RB Leipzig within the Champions League.
England worldwide Rashford got here on simply after the hour mark and netted three targets in 16 minutes, first operating clear to calmly slot in, then smashing in a terrific second, earlier than drilling dwelling a 3rd in stoppage time.
Teenage ahead Mason Greenwood scored his first purpose within the competitors, latching onto Paul Pogba’s defence-splitting cross earlier than drilling a exact, low end into the far nook.
Greenwood produced one other thumping effort straight at Peter Gulasci, whereas the visiting goalkeeper additionally saved out Anthony Martial’s poked effort.
However when Martial was tripped within the field with three minutes to go, he transformed the penalty to attain his first purpose of the season.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s aspect backed up their glorious win at Paris St-Germain of their opening recreation by gathering one other spectacular three factors to increase their unbeaten run to 4 video games.
United’s backline had a snug night time, David de Gea protecting out efforts from Christopher Nkunku and Ibrahima Konate.
Within the Group H’s different recreation, final 12 months’s runners-up Paris St-Germain picked up their first factors with a 2-0 win at Istanbul Basaksehir.
Rashford can do no fallacious
United had stated earlier than the sport that they have been “bemused” by the federal government’s choice to not enable followers into Previous Trafford regardless of making the stadium a socially-distanced venue for 23,500 supporters.
And with United taking part in their first Champions League recreation at dwelling since dropping to Barcelona within the quarter-final in April 2019, it was a disgrace the supporters missed out on their aspect’s greatest efficiency of the marketing campaign.
Solskjaer’s aspect have been up in opposition to the present Bundesliga leaders and a crew that reached the semi-finals final time period, however made the German aspect look atypical with an outstanding, all-round efficiency.
United’s dominant show was highlighted by the truth that Leipzig had received six and drawn one in all their seven video games this season, conceding simply three targets within the course of.
Man of the second Rashford once more made an influence, netting with all three of his photographs heading in the right direction.
Honoured with an MBE earlier within the month and persevering with his combat in opposition to the federal government over free meals for college kids off the pitch, Rashford showcased his prowess on it with a primary treble in Europe’s elite membership competitors.
His first was initially dominated out by the assistant referee for offside, however replays confirmed he had timed his run to perfection from behind the midway line, bursting clear from Bruno Fernandes’ raking cross and opening up his physique to earlier than slotting dwelling.
The second got here with a run to the sting of the field earlier than powering his end into the nook, whereas he accomplished his hat-trick from shut vary.
United on a run
Because the 6-1 humiliation by the hands of Tottenham, United have collected three victories and a draw, together with back-to-back clear sheets.
The much-maligned defensive duo of Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof saved the Leipzig ahead line quiet as they secured one other welcome shut out.
In entrance of them, Netherlands worldwide Donny van de Beek was given his third begin, after two within the Carabao Cup, and the midfielder was regular and tidy, finishing 89% of his 28 passes and successful the ball again six occasions in his 67 minutes on the pitch.
Such is United’s depth, star man Bruno Fernandes was solely on the bench, however got here off it to seize one other help.
Few would have anticipated the Premier League aspect to assert six factors from six in opposition to supposedly the 2 most tough opponents within the group.
However they’ve set themselves up completely to achieve the knockout stage, with back-to-back video games arising in opposition to the pointless Istanbul Basaksehir.
United are at Previous Trafford once more on Sunday, after they face Arsenal within the Premier League (kick-off 16:30 GMT).
Tremendous sub Rashford – the stats
- Manchester United’s victory was Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s fiftieth match as a supervisor in Uefa competitors, with the Norwegian overseeing 11 wins in 18 matches for Manchester United (61% win charge).
- Marcus Rashford is barely the second Manchester United participant to attain a hat-trick in its place after his supervisor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did so versus Nottingham Forest in February 1999 within the Premier League.
- Manchester United have kicked off a Champions League marketing campaign with back-to-back wins for under the second time since Sir Alex Ferguson left the membership in 2013, additionally doing so underneath Jose Mourinho in 2017-18.
- RB Leipzig’s 5-0 defeat is their heaviest loss of their quick European historical past, while the scoreline represents Manchester United’s greatest victory within the Champions League since November 2013 v Bayer Leverkusen (5-0).
- Regardless of solely making his debut in February 2020, no Manchester United participant has registered extra assists in all competitions than Bruno Fernandes (12) underneath Ole Gunnar Solskjær, regardless of the Norwegian taking cost in December 2018.
- Solely Brian Kidd (18y 275d) and Wayne Rooney (18y 340d) have scored a European Cup/Champions League purpose for Manchester United at a youthful age than Mason Greenwood (19y 27d).
- Manchester United striker Greenwood has scored six targets purpose in main European competitions as a young person, the joint-most of any Englishman alongside team-mate Marcus Rashford.
- Manchester United striker Rashford turned simply the fifth participant in Champions League historical past to attain a hat-trick in its place, although his 27-minute cameo is the fewest variety of minutes performed whereas netting a treble within the competitors.
- 1de Gea
- 29Wan-BissakaSubstituted forTuanzebeat 81′minutes
- 31MaticBooked at 34minsSubstituted forMcTominayat 63′minutes
- 6PogbaSubstituted forCavaniat 81′minutes
- 34van de BeekSubstituted forBruno Fernandesat 68′minutes
- 11GreenwoodSubstituted forRashfordat 63′minutes
- 18Bruno Fernandes
- 44KamplSubstituted forKluivertat 76′minutesBooked at 77mins
- 39HenrichsBooked at 46minsSubstituted forSabitzerat 63′minutesBooked at 86mins
- 18NkunkuSubstituted forSørlothat 65′minutes
- 11Hwang Hee-Chan
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Manchester United 5, RB Leipzig 0.
Second Half ends, Manchester United 5, RB Leipzig 0.
Purpose! Manchester United 5, RB Leipzig 0. Marcus Rashford (Manchester United) proper footed shot from the centre of the field to the underside proper nook. Assisted by Anthony Martial.
Dani Olmo (RB Leipzig) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Luke Shaw (Manchester United).
Foul by Yussuf Poulsen (RB Leipzig).
Scott McTominay (Manchester United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Dani Olmo (RB Leipzig) wins a free kick on the suitable wing.
Foul by Fred (Manchester United).
Offside, Manchester United. Bruno Fernandes tries a by means of ball, however Edinson Cavani is caught offside.
Purpose! Manchester United 4, RB Leipzig 0. Anthony Martial (Manchester United) converts the penalty with a proper footed shot to the underside left nook.
Marcel Sabitzer (RB Leipzig) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Penalty conceded by Marcel Sabitzer (RB Leipzig) after a foul within the penalty space.
Penalty Manchester United. Anthony Martial attracts a foul within the penalty space.
Try blocked. Marcus Rashford (Manchester United) left footed shot from the centre of the field is blocked. Assisted by Edinson Cavani with a headed cross.
Offside, RB Leipzig. Marcel Halstenberg tries a by means of ball, however Angeliño is caught offside.
Substitution, Manchester United. Edinson Cavani replaces Paul Pogba.
Substitution, Manchester United. Axel Tuanzebe replaces Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Try missed. Alexander Sørloth (RB Leipzig) header from the centre of the field is only a bit too excessive. Assisted by Emil Forsberg with a cross following a nook.
Nook, RB Leipzig. Conceded by Luke Shaw.