A revamped County Championship will return subsequent summer season with the 18 first-class counties cut up into three teams.
The competitors was changed by the Bob Willis Trophy in 2020 after the home season began 4 months late amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Bob Willis Trophy ultimate, a five-day recreation at Lord’s, will nonetheless happen in 2021 contested by the very best two sides within the new-look County Championship.
Essex, County Championship winners in 2019, will defend each trophies.
In addition they gained the inaugural Bob Willis Trophy in September.
The County Championship is normally cut up into two divisions with eight groups in Division One and 10 in Division Two.
However with uncertainty surrounding how Covid-19 will proceed to affect first-class cricket in 2021, the England and Wales Cricket Board stated they needed to restart the County Championship, while mitigating in opposition to the affect of the pandemic.
“I’m delighted that the counties have been in a position to attain this settlement lower than three weeks after Essex gained the Bob Willis Trophy ultimate at Lord’s,” ECB chair Ian Watmore stated.
“The success of that competitors gives reassurance that this construction might help safeguard in opposition to any affect the worldwide pandemic might have on subsequent season whereas additionally guaranteeing the integrity of the County Championship.
“It have to be careworn that this construction has been agreed for subsequent season solely and through 2021 we are going to evaluate and seek the advice of with the counties and different stakeholders to determine the suitable subsequent steps for the boys’s home construction in 2022 and past.”
The three County Championship teams
- Group 1: Essex, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Worcestershire, Durham.
- Group 2: Somerset, Hampshire, Surrey, Gloucestershire, Middlesex, Leicestershire.
- Group 3: Kent, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Glamorgan, Sussex.
How will it work?
- Every county will play 10 four-day video games within the group stage – 5 dwelling and 5 away.
- The highest two groups in every group will undergo to a second group stage known as “Division One”.
- The six groups in Division One play an extra 4 matches, with the facet that finishes high of Division One topped 2021 County Championship winners.
- The highest two groups in Division One will contest five-day Bob Willis Trophy ultimate at Lord’s.
- The remaining 12 groups that don’t go into Division One will transfer into Divisions Two and Three, through which groups will play one other 4 matches.